A wise man once said, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”
Between the never-ending crunch of trying to put out a magazine every month and the realities of adjusting to a new role, “fast” seems like an understatement to describe the 12 months since I took over as the editor of NEW MOBILITY.
Taking a second to look back on the year reveals a period defined by continual change and, I would argue, a consistent commitment to bringing you fresh, interesting and helpful content. Here’s a reminder in case you missed anything:
• We added Posts, a new bimonthly look at colorful stories from around the wheeler world; Everyday Ethics, an insightful examination of everyday dilemmas; and Ask Us, a help column where our knowledgeable staff answer your questions.
• We replaced our Contributors page with Behind the Stories to give you more insight into the people who shaped that issue.
• Wheelchair Confidential debuted alongside Please Remain Seated to form Last Word, our new back page.
• Teal Sherer started as a new columnist, offering her unique insider perspective on all things media.
• Additionally, nine new contributors penned features for us, as did a number of excellent new bloggers.
If you extend the look back a little further to January of 2018, we’ve updated 14 of our departments with new looks, writers or entirely new content. That’s a whole lot of change, but I’m hoping that it went as smoothly for all of you as it did for us.
If so, all the credit goes to the awesome team we have putting together NEW MOBILITY. People always seem surprised when I tell them there are only five of us who work full time on the magazine, but it’s true. Getting to know each of them better and work with them to solve the inevitable day-to-day issues that come up with an undertaking of this magnitude has been a great experience.
I know many of you were worried Tim Gilmer had sailed off into the sunset of retirement and taken his insight and prose with him, but now you must know that couldn’t be further from the truth. If anything, he’s written more content in the last 12 months than he has during any similar timeframe. His excellent series on doctors and nurses stands out among the many highlights of the year.
So what’s next?
We’ve got a great slate of stories lined up for the second half of 2019 and, after a year of working together, our team has a better understanding of what we need to do to keep NEW MOBILITY trending in the right direction.
As always, we are counting on your feedback and suggestions, and we genuinely want to hear what you’d like to see us cover and how you think we’re doing. If you read online, please take the time to comment, share or message us through our website or social media pages. If you read in print, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m excited for the future and I hope you are too.