Selected Articles from New Mobility
There’s certainly more to life than the topics listed here, but as women we revisit these subjects frequently in an effort to make peace with our bodies, our choices, ourselves. Here are some of our favorite pieces from the NM archives, updated for 2011.
• The Body in Trouble, by Nancy Mairs, September 1997
• A Disability in Full, by Barry Corbet, October 1999
• Body Innage, by Lorie Levinson, October 2001
• To Spigot or Not to Spigot, by Linda Ryan, February 2006
• Unfractured Dreams, Photo Essay of Bethany Stevens by Michael Mullady, January 2011
• Keeping House in Nepal: The Right to Equal Discrimination, by Megan Smith, February 2011
•The Battle of Body Image, by Ellen Stohl, May 2011.
• No Exceptions Made: Violence Against Women with Disabilities, by Laura Kaminker, October 1997
• Shelter Me, by Josie Byzek, November 2004
• Breaking Free from Medical Abuse, by Joy Weeber, November 2004
• Breaking Free from Domestic Abuse, by Kathi Wolfe, November 2004
• Past Due: Quad Moms Talk About Pregnancy, by Jean Dobbs, July/August 1995
• Women’s Health: Sharing Scarce Information, by Dr. Sandra Welner, October 1997
• The Enemy Within, The Battle Without: Fighting for Accessible Services to Beat Breast Cancer, by Rachel Ross, November 1998
• Reclaiming Your Health, by Expert Panel, October 2001
• Osteoporosis, Menopause and Disability, by June Price, October 2001
• Home Sweet Home: A Birth Story, by Annalysa Lovos, October 2002
• Riding the Cotton Pony is So Last Century, by Amanda Lopez, May 2005.
• The Uphill Push: Women Wheelchair Users and Access to Health Care, by Kara Sheridan, November 2007
• Hormone Attack, by Sharon Gardner, January 2009
• Access to Women’s Health Equipment, by Tom Scott, May 2011
• Self-esteem: What Hurts? What Helps, Quotes by Readers, October 1997
• In Search of a New Aesthetic: Carol Gill Charts The Way, by Jean Dobbs, November 1998
• Women and Change, By Mariel Garza, October 2001
• Ability to Sleep on Toilet an Asset, by Dee Sandin, May 2004
• What’s in Your Head ? Who Put It There?, by Josie Byzek, May 2004
• Photographing Jill, by Josie Byzek, November 2005
• The Wild Women: Challenge Yourself, Challenge the World, by Josie Byzek, November 2006.